10 Ways to Prevent Antibiotic Resistance
On 1St World Safe Antibiotic Week 16-22 November
What are antibiotics?
Antibiotics are drugs used to treat bacterial infections. They act either by killing bacteria or by stopping bacterial growth and multiplication. They are not effective in viral infections.
What is antibiotic resistance?
Antibiotic resistance is when an antibiotic becomes ineffective in killing or stopping the growth of the bacteria. Overuse and misuse of antibiotics are the leading causes of antibiotic resistance.
How can antibiotic resistance be reduced?
– Do not buy antibiotics without prescription
– Do not self-medicate with antibiotics. Always consult a qualified doctor
– Take antibiotics as prescribed ( example: once twice/thrice a day for 5 to 7 day)
– Complete the full prescribed course of treatment even if you are feeling better
– Do not skip prescribed doses
– Do not save antibiotics for next time usage
– Discard leftover medicines once you have completed your prescribed course
– Do not pressurize your doctor to prescribe antibiotics
– Do not take antibiotics for viral infections like cold and flu
– Do not take antibiotics prescribed for someone else.